Director - Retail Practice
CLEAR is a global marketing strategy consultancy that empowers ambitious marketing leaders to achieve transformational business results through the combination of rigorous insight, robust strategy and inspiring creative. This unique combination of skills helps our clients access significant value through category leadership, brand development and creation of more innovative and superior experiences across touchpoints. We believe great strategy is impossible without rigorous insight; in a world filled with unsubstantiated opinions, clarity has never been more powerful.
CLEAR’s consultants create transformational brand experiences and marketing strategies that have clear impact on our clients’ careers, businesses and categories. Since 2002, we’ve been delivering transformational strategies for leading businesses, brands and individuals in a diverse array of sectors. We have offices in London, New York, Dayton, Germany, Singapore and Shanghai, but we’re willing to fly wherever we’re needed. We have an extensive blue-chip client list including GSK, Invesco, Nestle, Google, Durex, Disney and many more.
CLEAR is a division of M&C Saatchi, one of the world’s leading marketing services groups. The company is headquartered in London, England, with offices throughout the world.
Clear is seeking to add an inspirational Director to the team. The role sits within our growing US team, with a focus on the Retail & Brand Experience offer and stretching across a breadth of brand/marketing strategy projects (positioning/repositioning, brand experience strategy & design, shopper research, retail reinvention and activation), qualitative and quantitative research and insight work. You will be an active and engaged leader within our Dayton, Ohio office, responsible for leading projects from brief through to successful delivery with support from a project team. You should have a passion and skill for the opportunities within retail and brand experience, growing existing and new client relationships, while also able to roll your sleeves up and deliver. There are also opportunities for offer and IP development, as well as line management of more junior team members, as part of the role.
- Lead projects from start to finish, putting strategic thinking at the heart of the project, ensuring quality, rigor and creativity of thinking and clarity of storytelling
- Manage the profitability of large projects, maximizing revenue or decreasing costs where appropriate, in line with our entrepreneurial spirit (tracking project workload and resources)
- Quality control – maintaining the highest standards of output, in written, visual and verbal communications with the client, workshop environments and broader IP
- Manage and inspire consultant(s) to deliver the project successfully, including overseeing all logistics and finances associated with the projects being managed
- Facilitate others in generating ideas, leading the creative process with clients
- Deliver compelling client presentations and experiences
- Identify opportunities for new projects and added revenue from existing clients and convert these into project work
- Cultivate relationships with new clients – taking client briefs, develop and deliver proposals
- Identify opportunities and develop content for IP development: both internally to improve CLEAR’s processes, and externally for Marketing materials
- Use insight – can extract insight from data and complex pieces of research. Can identify the implications and ideas that insights inspire.
- Think strategically – Can analyze a problem from multiple perspectives and reason potential ways forward. Can identify the key issues or factors that make a difference to success. Thinks laterally to solve a challenge.
- Commercial marketer – Ability to look beyond project brief and understand a project objective in the context of the broader business and growth challenge. Ability to assess and tell a story about commercial impact of a strategic recommendation and identify opportunities for follow-up business.
- Manage projects – Anticipates client needs before they are articulated, suggests alternative courses of action and has the information to map out implications to aid decision making. Suggest ways to make projects run smoothly – e.g. combining meetings, stages of projects.
- Win - Personally wins new clients. Actively makes approaches to new clients, is persistent in developing client relationships. Leads pitches and new biz meetings. Leads account development by spotting farming opportunities. Monitors and acts on client feedback.
- Develop offer and manage the business - Evolves and improves current approaches. Improves and enhances business tools. Seeks to manage and improve profitability through maximizing revenue or decreasing costs on a project.
- Leadership - Represents a positive role model with ability to motivate, coach and inspire others. Leads thinking on all areas of Clear including people, product and process. Lives the Clear values of collaborative, inspiring, simple and commercial.
Skills, experience and qualifications
- Approximately 10 years+ brand or marketing strategy consultancy or relevant client
side experience (CPG or Retail)
- Solid experience in both quantitative and qualitative research and insight development
- Strong experience and understanding of shopper and brand experience/retail environment research
- Solid understanding of all aspects of business and brand strategy and product/service innovation
- Ability to understand brand and marketing issues from both a strategic and commercial perspective, thinking laterally and creatively
- Rich experience working on a range of brand problems across a range of clients – with a focus on CPG, Retail and B2C products and services
- Evidence of new business development experience
- Relevant undergraduate & post-graduate degrees, MBA in Marketing preferred
Package and benefits
- Competitive salary and bonus potential
- 20 vacation days a year + 3 floating holidays
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- 401(K) matching
Our people are the most important part of making CLEAR an energized place to work. The business is jam-packed with smart, ambitious and creative characters who are obsessed with clarity. We recognize and reward people’s hard work and contribution, and actively support personal and professional development – there are many great success stories at CLEAR. The business has an entrepreneurial, innovative culture, giving people freedom, flexibility and lots of responsibility. Our people make us successful and we enjoy social events, parties, team lunches, quiz nights, charity fundraising events and more together.
What we are looking for
Regardless of role within the business there are certain qualities we look for in the people in CLEAR. These are our values – and we celebrate those who live them best.
- Collaborative – Value team work. Put the team first. Encourage people to be better. Follow through on commitments to each other. Respect others and their opinions. Be honest and constructive. Listen first.
- Inspiring – Share. Learn from experience and feedback to the team. Share best practice so we can develop. Be brave. Be ambitious. Set exacting standards and help others reach them. Tell powerful stories.
- Simple – Be clear. Say things in plain English. Be unambiguous. Organize your thoughts before responding to challenges. Simplify complex problems. Be focussed. Ask simple questions – they’re often the most powerful.
- Commercial – Take action and make things happen. Be aware of the impact of your work and your decisions on the performance of the wider business. Recognize the commercial importance of work. Focus and prioritize effectively. Understand how we make money.
*No agencies please*